Sensory Acumen has the smell of innovation
Post-traumatic stress disorder is a malady that afflicts many veterans. Increasingly researchers are finding that addressing the illness requires simulating the circumstances that triggered the response.
It wasn't the market that Charlene Childers Coleman, CEO of Sensory Acumen Inc. and Michael Coleman, Chief Creative Officer and Carl Childers, Vice President, originally foresaw for their initial olfactory sensation delivery mechanism.
Game Skunk was developed to work with the more dramatically immersive world of video games. "If you're playing a racing game, it will give you the smell of burnt rubber," said Michael Coleman during a segment of the documentary A Great Day in Gaming : From Queens to Silicon Valley: The Gerald A. Lawson Story.
The company showed its wares during the massive Consumer Electronics Show Jan. 10-13.
But when they saw a researcher using smell to treat wounded war veterans, they were more than willing to expand their horizons, said Charlene Coleman.
The three are among the 13th annual 50 Most Important African-Americans in Technology, which meet Jan. 15, 2013 in Washington, D.C. for the Innovation & Equity 2013 Symposium: Keeping America First in Technology: Public Innovation and Supplier Diversity.
Sensory Acumen entered the Catapult Innovation Showcase, an initiative to identify promising technologies which can grow into global industries.
Charlene Coleman has been fascinated with technology since her father showed her a digital watch at the age of two. Through a career in consumer electronics marketing, she's studied the interface between people and their gadgets.
As the family of innovators choose the market to bring smell into technology to launch their own company, they've also made a commitment to take the development through every stage of manufacturing and distribution.
"It's important to us to build a company, not just to develop something and spin it off," said Charlene Coleman.
They're adding an important new feature to a $23 billion video game industry, not unlike Jerry Lawson, creator of the first cartridge game console, the Channel F, in 1972 for Fairchild.
- Alabama A&M Environmental Science
- Central State University Water Resources Mgmt.
- Delaware State University Herbarium
- Florida A&M Institute of Building Science
- Ft. Valley State University Cooperative Energy Program
- Lincoln University Environmental Sciences
- Morgan State University Architecture & Planning
- Texas Institute for Preservation of History
- Center for Integrated Food Systems
- 2009 50 Most Important African-Americans in Technology
- 2008 50 Most Important African-Americans in Technology
- 2002 50 Most Important African-Americans in Technology
- 2003 50 Most Important African-Americans in Technology
- Huston-Tillotson Computer Science
- J.C. Smith University Computer Engineering
- Mississippi Valley State Computer Science
- International Center for Information Technology & Development
- Spelman ASPIRE
- Tennessee State Center for Learning Sciences
- Bluefield State Engineering Technology
- Coppin State University
- Cuyahoga Community College Unified Technology Center
- FSU Center for Promoting STEM Education & Research
- Grambling University Engineering Technology
- Hampton University Engineering & Technology
- Jackson State University Engineering
- N.C. Central University Science & Technology
- Prairie View A&M Engineering
- Texas Southern University Industrial Technology
- Arkansas Baptist College Entrepreneurship
- Chicago State Geography and Economic Development
- Lemoyne-Owen Business and Economic Development
- Lewis College of Business Small Business
- Morehouse Entrepreneurship Center
- Interdisciplinary Center for Entrepreneurship and e-Business
- Philander Smith Social Justice Initiative
- Benedict College Summer Research Institute
- Bennett College Center for Global Studies
- Harold Washington College Computer Information Systems
- Denmark Technical College
- Trenholm State Technical College
- J.F.Drake State Technical College
- Jarvis Christian College STEM
- Kennedy-King College
- Knoxville College
- Lawson State Community College
- Miles College
- Morris Brown College
- Morris College HBCU-UP
- Rust College
- St. Augustines College Confucious Classroom
- Selma University
- Shelton State Technical College
- Sojourner-Douglass College
- Southwestern Christian College
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff STEM Academy
- UDC National Center for Urban Education
- Bethune Cookman Center for Study of Healthcare Disparities
- Bishop State Health Programs
- Charles R. Drew Urban Public Health
- Elizabeth City State University Pharmacy
- Howard Psychology
- Howard University Health Sciences
- Interdenominational Theological Center
- Meharry Asthma Disparities Project
- Morehouse School of Medicine
- Albany State University Math & Computer Science
- Allen University Mathematics and Natural Sciences
- Bowie State University Mathematics
- Concordia Selma Business & Information Systems
- El Camino College Compton Center Mathematics
- Fayetteville State University Center for Math, Science Education
- Kentucky State University Mathematics & Science
- Lincoln University (PA) Natural Sciences and Mathematics
- Martin University Mathematics & Science
- Norfolk State University National Institute for Mathmatics
- Oakwood University Mathematics & Computer Science
- Shaw University Mathematics & Science
- Southern University Timbuktu Academy
- Talladega Natural Science and Mathematics